Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter!!! Enjoy the Pasca.


Back in Moldova we celebrate Easter with less pastels, more reds, less bunnies and certainly a great variety of dishes, some of them of "only Easter" type. Pasca is the name of the Easter Bread traditionally eaten first thing on Easter morning, after being sanctified at church with the holy water called agheazma.

Though they come in a greater variety, this cheese topped bread braided with a cross is the common one used in the part om Moldova I come from. The cheese used is typically the "brinza de vaca" type (which requires egg for better binding), a yogurt based cottage cheese, but I took the liberty of using cream cheese here, and no egg at all.

My mother tells me that when she grew up, this was the only bread eaten for the next 40 days following Easter, but here we all love it, and sometimes I even bake it beyond the Season. Forgiveness please.


9 comments :

Raji said...

Happy Easter..that's a real wonderful looking bread. Love the topping.

Suman Singh said...

Wow..this is one beautiful and gorgeous looking bread..Happy Easter to you and your family!!

Swathi said...

Happy Easter to you and your family. This bread is fantastic.

Cooking Gallery said...

This is new to me, thank you for sharing and I wish you a Happy Easter with your family :)

Amritha Kalyani said...

Good to see you after a long time :-) Pasca looks delicious. Happy Easter to You !

Sobha Shyam said...

First time here..wonderful recipe..Happy Easter !!

Alessandra said...

It looks really nice, I would want to try it!

Happy Easter Holidays :-)

ciao
Alessandra

Mary said...

Happy Easter, Adelina. Your bread looks wonderfully festive and I'm sure it is delicious. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Priya said...

Wat a great looking bread, Happy easter wishes to u too..

Related Posts with Thumbnails