Again, I give credits to my mother in law, an amazing cook, from whom I learned the magic of cooking Indian!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 dry red chilies, seeded
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 spoon salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp white urad dhal (split black gram)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- a few curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, slit and seeded
- 3 tbsp oil
- Cook the rice in 5 cups of water until fluffy, but not overcooked
- Heat the oil and pop the mustard. Add the dhal, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilies, red chilies and slightly fry.
- Add onions, chopped tomatoes, tumeric powder, chili powder and salt. Fry everything on medium heat till all flavours are well incorporated.
- Stir in the rice and cook for a couple of more minutes till all the juice is absorbed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.