Monday, July 12, 2010

Crêpes- the Moldovan Way


Known as "blinchiki" in Russian and "clatite" in the Romanian, these delicious, delicate pancakes feature as a classic dessert in most of homes. I remember them on most of holidays' repertoire, even weddings and funerals... Every time I make them, nostalgia overwhelms me, and memories of my childhood weave themselves quickly! The house I grew up in and all the goodness that comes with living in a village! I could almost see my mom heaping towers of crêpes - they don't stay long on the table!

Some photos of the place I grew up in:

Our green frontyard

...vegetable garden
...and water well, about 30 yards deep!
Back to food!
We mostly have the crêpes in two forms- jam stuffed and cottage cheese (ricotta) stuffed- and then butter fried! Yesterday I made them with my home-made fig jam and wrapped them in our traditional "log"style. The recipe we use is the classic mix of egg, flour, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla.

Evenly spread the jam over the crêpe:

Once you have three logs ready, place them over a plain crêpe...

....and roll to obtain a log

slice the log in 1 inch pieces and serve





7 comments :

Mary said...

What a lovely post. It was so nice to see the home in which you grew up. Your crepes look wonderful and the way you have formed them is something I haven't seen before. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Adelina said...

Thanks Mary!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Lovely house you grew up in. I especially love the house of "well". Most of the South Indian homes have a well but they don't have a tent over it.

Love the log-style crepe rolls. They look fab!

Adelina said...

:)

Jay said...

Beautiful n very tempting crepe rolls...Loved your yummy presentation.
Your place looks heavenly dear.

Cooking Blog Indexer said...

wow nice..love the presentation..nice to know about the crepes..

PJ said...

Ur post reminds me of my childhood home,something similar to yours [but minus the well] we had a small veggie garden and lots of grass to laze around in summer :)..Don't know why, but love the idea of having a well in my backyard :).Crepes look so yumm and the pretty :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails