I am providing the same recipe that I successfully used so many times:
Parboiled rice - 1 cup
Split urad dal - 3/4 cup
Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal- 3 tblspoons
1/5 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
Salt - to taste
Oil for frying
- Soak all the ingredients except, salt and oil for about 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind to a smooth batter adding sufficient water for grinding.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Keep it for fermenting overnight or till the volume of the batter has doubled.
- Mix the batter well. The consistency of the batter should be not too thick, not too wattery.
- Pour a ladle of the batter on the heated griddle or pan, drizzle few teaspoons of oil.
- Sprinkle some chopped onions and cilantro leaves.
- Fry till the bottom side gets golden-brown, then turn it on the other side.
- Fry for another minute or so, till golden brown.
- Serve it with your favourite chutney, sidedish or sambar.