Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ice Cream Cherry Cake

Had half a gallon of vanilla ice cream in my freezer- this one leaves me cold- the ice cream I mean. Not that I dislike it, but when chocolate's around, why settle for vanilla? Me again.
Well...I baked a cake on Friday and frosted half of it with toffee cream and was left with the other half not knowing what to do. I thought of taking a shortcut (...shortcut indeed...) and make an ice cream cake- drop some cherries- grate some chocolate- BINGO!

So I pretty much sliced the above mentioned "accidental"cake to fit one of my loaf pans, two layers. Removed about one pound of my not-so-loved ice cream and let it slightly thaw....mixed in half a cup poppy seeds, half a pound fresh cherries- seeds removed.

Lined the loaf pan with plastic food wrap (cling film). Placed half of the ice cream mix on pan bottom (pressed well to remove air pockets). Placed the first slice of cake on top of the ice cream and topped it with the rest of ice cream mix. Placed the other cake slice on top. Let the loaf rest in the freezer for about 5 hours. Let it sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes before removing from the loaf pan. Discarded the plastic wrap, turned upside down and garnished the top with chocolate shavings and cherry pieces.

The effect is casual but smart!


I must admit I ended up with lots of cake leftover after shaping up my loaf- it will be smartly used later during the week to layer my chocolate ice cream when this one is gone. Well...it is almost gone!..



5 comments :

FoodieCraze said...

OMG! That easy indeed? Looks fabulous!

Srivalli said...

Adelina, thanks for leading me here..you have a beautiful space and I am very glad to have discovered you. that cake looks soo good..thanks for dropping by..

Adelina said...

My pleasure!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

This ice-cream cake looks splendid..so elegant unlike the cake on the first picture..Now I have 2 recipes to try..this and the sushi. I have never used black poppy seeds before. Got to find it next time i visit the market.

Adelina said...

That's what they call "the ugly duckling"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails