Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chayote Squash Relish


Husband and me:

- Would you say Tohayal is a chutney?
- No, chutney is different.
- Is it a pickle?
- Certainly not.
- Is it a pachadi?
-No. It is just what it is: Tohayal! Period.

All right, I saw it before, and it's a losing argument. Tohayal is a South Indian (maybe Tamil?) spiced paste made of vegetables, that accompanies rice and other dishes- a sort of relish, and thus I called it- to be fair. This one here is made of ground chayote squash (chow-chow) peel, tempered with fried urad dhal, red chili pepper, mustard seeds (all ground to a coarse powder). Like my sister in law once said: In India we make the best use of vegetables- be it seed, flesh or skin! Very smart- and yummy!






10 comments :

Swathi said...

This can be called chayote tohayal or chutney. looks delicious.

Sanjeeta kk said...

Adelina, I was always wondering for the English name for this veggie. As I saw this veggie first time after marriage and when I came down to South. My mom thought it was a hybrid guava :) Love the Tohayal.

Ramya said...

Thogayal looks delicious..Just a cup of piping hot rice with a spoon of ghee and thogayal..Yummmmm

Priya said...

Thats really beautiful and delicious relish,inviting..

alison said...

looks tempting, the name doesn't matter!:)

griffen said...

yum yum yum i like the saying at the end.

honeybeecooksjackfruit said...

Looks yummy. Did you have this with chapathi?

jayasree said...

Thogayal or chutney depends on the consistency. Traditionaly, thogayal is very thick and coarse where as chutney is mostly ground fine and has a runny consistency.

Whatever be the name, it looks delicious.

Alessandra said...

Relish sounds good to me, I am not familiar with the other terms :-)

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Adelina
How are you? Thats a great conversation. The dish looks great! I have made this few times and I like it ( even if I am from eastern India, I love southern food).
Broccoli stir fry is also looks good and the addition tofu Hummm! must make this soon..LOL Garlic and soya combo needs two exhausts ...
Have a nice weekend

Related Posts with Thumbnails