Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Navarathri, Sundhal, and a Ton of Memories


My visit to India in 2005 was all about the Pongal festival- whereas in 2007 I happened to have visited India around Navarathri and Dipavali (Diwali). How do I love the way the Indians celebrate their holidays?- I am nuts! -glamour- shopping galore- noise in the streets and fireworks in the air-and FOOD- India caters well to its vegetarian crowd

Each festival (and there are many) has its specialty foods and Sundhal is one of the Navaratri's favourites. Call it salad, snack or side dish- sundal is mainly a medley of pulses, grains, beans, cooked with spices, coconut and other goodies- in n number of combinations. Of course, there are classic recipes out there and the story is, one type of sundhal is being cooked  on each of these nine days of Navarathri (nine nights)- the last one being Nava Dhaania Sundhal (nine gram salad). I have one type of sundhal here, for the curious!

One of my blogger friends, Radhika Vasanth, has published the Kadala Parupu Sundal on her blog space, here, and I decided to use her recipe to prepare this delicious snack- and guess what- it turned out exceptional! Thanks Radhika!!!

Here are some shots of the gollu that I have taken in Chennai, 2007 (my husband's cousin' house)- the doll display done with so much skill and creativity for the Navaratri occasion!



Me somewhere at a Mylapore market- dolls dolls dolls!!! (a cellphone shot- thanks Kitthu!)

11 comments :

Amritha Kalyani said...

Nice golu. Hope you had fun shopping at chennai. i miss chennai :-( Its been a while since i went there. missing home.. missing this fun.. coming to your sundal.. my god! it looks delicious. very tempting.. very nice presentation..

alison said...

beuatiful memories,sugestive photos and a flavoful and healthy dish!

Fuat Gencal said...

Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılarımla.

TMC said...

I love how colourful all the deity statues are. Who's to say they don't wear pink! Pink makes me feel pretty divine. :)

The dish looks amazing. I think I almost have all the ingredients in my pantry and may try it out.

Thanks for sharing about your trip.

Priya said...

Woww beautiful posts and awesome golu clicks..

Nithu Bala said...

Golu looks Divine..lovely shot at Mylapore market..it's been a while I've been to Chennai...your kadala paruppu sundal is so good.

Swathi said...

Your golu brought back lot of memories, when we are young we roam around all house and ask each aunt what type sundal they prepared. If it is sweet one we love have a piece of it. when amma was there we used keep golu. Now nobody is there to give vathala packu so i am not keeping glou. I will keep puja .

Swathi said...

Kadali sundal superb.

aipi said...

Beautiful looking golu..Happy Navarathri to you and your family dear!

US Masala

Silence Sings said...

Nice post.....

Radhika said...

Your golu pics make me feel that I should have extended my vacation in India for another week. I am so glad that you liked this Sundal recipe. Happy Navarathri to you and your family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails