Well, since that day I had tried it countless times in Mexican restaurants, but never until today had I made one of my own. And that's because I had these 4 beautiful tomatillos in my fridge ( I challenged myself at the store I would find something to do with them) that were waiting to be put in a recipe! I had reconstructed a Salsa Verde recipe from one of my 3000 (kidding, but close) recipe books, and it turned out delicious! I do not think I will ever again eat store bought salsa!
Here is the recipe- simple and quick for a delightfully refreshing salsa. This is a mild one, you can up the number of chilies to get a hotter salsa:
- 4 tomatillos
- 1 red jalapeno pepper
- 1 serrano chili pepper
- 1 large tomato. chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Grind the first three ingredients to a coarse paste
- Mix in the tomatoes, onions.
- Season with black pepper and salt
- Serve fresh on enchilladas, or just dip some corn or wheat tortilla chips for a quick bite.