Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tomatillo Salsa- Green Rules!

When I first came to US, one of my husband's work colleagues welcomed me with a fancy jar of Salsa Verde and an armadillo stuffed toy! The animal looked hilarious to me, the word "verde" means "green" in Romanian as well, but still could not understand what these two had to do with the salsa dance ! All right, I pleaded ignorance and asked, so it came out it was a sauce! Green!

Well, since that day I had tried it countless times in Mexican restaurants, but never until today had I made one of my own. And that's because I had these 4 beautiful tomatillos in my fridge ( I challenged myself at the store I would find something to do with them) that were waiting to be put in a recipe!  I had reconstructed a Salsa Verde recipe from one of my 3000 (kidding, but close) recipe books, and it turned out delicious! I do not think I will ever again eat store bought salsa!


Here is the recipe- simple and quick for a delightfully refreshing salsa. This is a mild one, you can up the number of chilies to get a hotter salsa:


Ingredients:
  • 4 tomatillos
  • 1 red jalapeno pepper
  • 1 serrano chili pepper
  • 1 large tomato. chopped
  • 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
  1. Grind the first three ingredients to a coarse paste
  2. Mix in the tomatoes, onions.
  3. Season with black pepper and salt
  4. Serve fresh on enchilladas, or just dip some corn or wheat tortilla chips for a quick bite.






9 comments :

alison said...

it looks so fine,but i haven't green tomatillo here for make this delicious salsa!

veena krishnakumar said...

looks great and pretty quick to fix too:-0

Jay said...

georgeous dish...loved all d colors da.

Mary said...

What a beautiful dish and lovely recipe. Your food always looks so appealing that it keeps me coming back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

aipi said...

new recipe..loved the stunning green color !

Sanjeeta kk said...

Colorful and refreshing recipe. Nice to be here. Best wishes.

Adelina said...

yes, the sauce indeed has a deep green vibrant color- I know some recipe call for cooking the tomatillos- that is unnecessary since you lose the freshness of the taste and color!

Umm Mymoonah said...

Looks so good, just love the heat of jalapeno.

Satya said...

wow looks so tempting ..love the refreshing green color ...nice combination of ingredients ...thanks for sharing

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails