Sunday, June 13, 2010

Spagetti Nests

I have had a mandoline slicer lying around for years and never really gave it business....not after I sliced my fingers, thank you very much. I, for some reason, feel more dexterous with my solid knife and cutting board. This morning I had to do some pantry rearrangements and the mandoline box rolled over off the uppermost shelf, banged my head and safely landed on the kitchen floor. So Newton's apple wasn't rotten after all! So I thought to myself: lucky to still have my face with no bruises, let me check out if anything broke inside. Oh no, not this one- a sturdy plastic (unfortunately) cannot break just from falling off 7 feet high. Lemme think....maybe I can use it for slicing something and hide it into our lunch! And why not, when you have carrots and zucchini, all you need is a handful of spaghetti, whisk up a sauce- and the easiest of lunches is ready in less than half an hour!
Not bad at all- spared a few cubes of Roquefort cheese and it was a smash- wish I made more- do not love cooking on Mondays. Do not love doing anything on Mondays for that matter.


Serves 4 or 2 very hungry.

Here is how I did it:

You will need:
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 medium size carrots
  • half bunch dill
  • half bunch parsley
  • about 3 oz Roquefort cheese (or any cheese from this family)
  • 5 tblspoons olive oil
  • 2 tblspoons apple cider
  • 1 tblspoon mild mustard
  • ground black pepper
  • 4 oz vegetable stock
  • lemon juice
Directions:

  1. Cook and drain spaghetti
  2. Peel the carrots and zucchini. Use a mandoline slicer (the spaghetti blade) and slice them both
  3. Chop the greens, cube the cheese.
  4. Saute the vegetables in 1 tblspoon oil, season with salt and pepper to your taste. Add spaghetti and mix well. Accurately make nests using a fork to comb the spaghetti. Leave in a warm place.
  5. Heat the rest of the oil. Add the vinegar, mustard, stock, the green stuff and the cheese cubes. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, lemon juice and pour over the spaghetti "nests".
  6. Serve immediately!

1 comments :

Sundhar said...

As usual I enjoyed it.

BTW, next time wear a helmet even in the kitchen area. This is how we need to stretch the safety guidelines I suppose.

Related Posts with Thumbnails