Monday, January 17, 2011

Feta Cheese and Black Olives Roll- :)Invirtita cu Brinza de Oaie...si Masline


Well, feta is one of the "almost national cheese"es of Moldova, though not called that, but Brinza de Oaie, literally sheep cheese! And as luck would have it, my sheep are few and far between :), I settled for feta for the making of this Invirtita- literally a ROLL- so popular in the place I grew up-minus the olives, which was my addition for a bit of bite and Greek character!


For the dough you need:
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1.5 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 and 3/8 cup water
Filling: 
  • 1.5 pound grated feta cheese mixed with chopped black olives, about 1 can
Also:
  • Oil for brushing the dough
Instructions:
  1. Combine all the ingredients for the dough and knead a smooth, pliable dough, as if for bread. You may need to add more flour or water, depending on the humidity level of your flour.
  2. Divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts, slightly knead into small balls and let rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into pizza-like crusts about 25 cm diameter.   
  4. Generously brush every single sheet with oil, and lay them one on top of the other. Let rest for about 10 minutes.
  5. Take one sheet at a time and stretch it till it becomes very thin, almost transparent. Either use your both hands and rotate the dough by grabbing its edges or stretch it on a flat working surface. Do not worry if it breaks here and there- it will get covered! (see photos)
  6. When you have a  thin sheet about 40cmX40cm, eveny spread some of the feta filling all over the dough, and then cover with another stretched sheet, repeat with some more filling.
  7. Start rolling to form a log, and then curl it into a spiral shape.
  8. Place on greased baking sheets and bake for about 35-40 min at 350F.






 






16 comments :

Ms.Chitchat said...

Very interesting and appreciate the illustrative clicks.

Swathi said...

This rolls and delicious love black olives and tangy feta cheese.

jayasree said...

Rolls look absolutely delicious and gorgeous...

Soumya said...

wow...delicious rolls...looks great and tempting

Sanjeeta kk said...

Looks crisp and very delicious rolls!

Priya said...

Such a delicious rolls, sooo yummy..

Prathima Rao/ Prats Corner said...

What a fabulous looking roll!!!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

your rolls have come out so well. very tempting indeed

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! Must be an authentic dish, looks really good. I can imagine how delicious it would have been with feta cheese and olives.

Satya said...

wonderfull step by step explanation and a super recipe with lovely ingredients

Super Yummy Recipes

honeybeecooksjackfruit said...

Wow, you dont know how much I want to taste one of those. I love feta cheese and that is awesome dough skills!

girlichef said...

I love these! Totally fantastic...bookmarking! Yummmm. :D

Alessandra said...

So nice! I love it!!!

Adelina, would you like to win my Sweet As cookbook?

visit me here :-)


http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweet-as-book-giveaway-seguimi-e-vinci.html

ciao

Alessandra

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Adelina
How are you ? I dont remember if I had wished you a Happy New year!! So Happy New year to you and family ( hey it is for 2011, and too early for 2012). I am too busy these days and hardly get any time. But will catch up.
I like this bake and I feel good , you have taken time to give a detailed procedure and recipe. Very nice indeed.
Let me see what have I missed. Read your Sambar posting and your description on the technique of Drum stick eating, is just outstanding..LOL..I always appreciate your great sense of humor.
There is nothing recent, for you at my blog...some fake non-veg dishes are there :-)
Have a nice week

Nisa Homey said...

Hi there....first time here....loved going throu ur space and feta cheese looks great....great clicks too....visit me when u have time..http://nisahomey.blogspot.com

sweet artichoke said...

This is my first encounter with Moldavian cuisine and this bread looks fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails