Since I had the ingredients ready for the making of the sauce, I gave it a try and I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I used it for marinating and broiling my tofu that had been asking to be used for the past couple of weeks...
I also made some sushi rice and hoisin stir-fried cabbage and carrots to go with it, and it surely went well. Everything was on the sweeter side though, to which my husband turned the nose a bit, but the rest of us ( ME) loved it!
Here is how I made my sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Stir the mixture well.
- Put it on medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer for a couple minutes.
- Stop the heat and cool the mixture.
- Store the sauce in a clean bottle in the refrigerator.