In the beginning was the Bean, and the Bean was good and they called it Rajma. Deep red in color, nutty and spicy- it is almost good enough to be eaten on its own, with just salt added. But of course the human nature is very inquisitive and it would not stop there.
When I first had Rajma at a Kashmiri friend of mine, I could not believe my senses- bean just could not taste this great. Well, it turns out that The Bean could! And since then it has been crowned as the Queen of Beans in my kitchen (bean is feminine in Romanian).
Here is a simple but delicious dish featuring this amazing Bean!
- about 4 cups cooked Red Kidney Beans (Rajma)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- bit of chili, paprika, tumeric, ground coriander and cumin....
- some liquid in which the beans cooked, or just water
1. Coarsely blend the onion in a food processor.
2.Fry the spices in little oil, over low heat.
3. Add the ground onion and fry for about 2 minutes over medium heat
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and salt and fry till tomatoes are soft.
5. Add the Beans with a bit of liquid and fry for about 3 minutes. Still on medium heat.
6.Slightly mash the beans with a spatula, and simmer for another 5 minutes till all the flavours are well incorporated.
7. Serve hot with naan, chapati or just whole wheat bread. You won't regret!