Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beet Soup Meets Sambar- East European Soup with South Indian Character



The soup that brought me 1st prize from my favourite cook: Manjula from manjulaskitchen.com!


Though spices are used with shyness in this part of the world (Moldova), soups are staples at almost every lunch and dinner. My father loves filling a spoon with sambar powder, and mixing it with any soup my mother makes. Despite the fact that we tell him it needs to cook a bit, he says: “ It loses its flavor” Laughing!!!

I am visiting Moldova now and certainly part of my luggage was occupied with spices.  For Father’s Day I made a “proper Borsch” with my freshly brought Sambar powder. Did he love it? He devoured it with such slurp!

Ingredients:

6-7 cups hot water
2 cups cabbage, chopped
3 large potatoes, diced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 large beet,  diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Oil for frying

salt
couple of bay leaves
1 tablespoon sambar powder  
3 chopped tablespoons parsley
Sour cream for serving

                                                                                                                                                                 & nbsp;     
                                                                                
 Method:
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Add onion and saute till golden brown
3. Add the cabbage, potatoes, carrots and beets. Fry for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat till slightly tender, mixing every now and then.
4. Pour the hot water over, add the salt, bay leaves,  cover with a tight lid and let simmer till the veggies are tender.
5. Add the Sambar powder and simmer for a couple of more minutes till all flavor is incorporated.
6. Remove the bay leaves, garnish with parsley, and serve hot.
7. Add a dollop of sour cream – it pairs very well.





9 comments :

Swathi said...

This is ultimate comfort soup. looks delicious.

alison said...

mmmm,i can smell it!
welcome back!:)

Alessandra said...

Wow, this is the best looking Bortsch I ever seen!

Soumya said...

delicious and healthy soup...love the color,very tempting

Prathima Rao said...

Lve d color of this oup..Looks real appetising..

Priya said...

Wat a catchy and mouthwatering soup..

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Adelina
How are you? I liked your comment at my blog ha ha " Now we are talking .." phobia" LOL.
So you have been holidaying !!you are originally from Maldova...Lovely place I understand.. I have only gone to Bucharest, Budapest and Belgrade that too long long back...
I like the photograph of this dish. One request , if you could give the recipe at least for non Indian dishes, I can try it...( Indian dish I dont care ...but I want to learn more on non-Indian dishes...
Have a nice week

aipi said...

That is one amazing, beautiful and delicious looking soup :)


US Masala

Di said...

This looks so good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails