Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Buckwheat Groats - the Famous and Infamous


I am starting this posting with a question: why does buckwheat get such a bad rap? When I mentioned buckwheat groats to my American friend, she said that most people are put off when you mention buckwheat as meal...My neighbour started telling me of a show in the 60s and why the grain got a funny reputation, but she did not finish the story for some reason.... 
I do not think there are many grains out there that get close in nutritional value to buckwheat. Gluten free, containing a high quality protein (only quinoa and soy do as far as I know), very tasty, ...you can find more here:
Buckwheat is very highly appreciated in Moldova, present in every kitchen and cooked in many ways. Buckwheat flour is virtually unknown and I do not think even the Russians make their blinis with it....one of those things, like the German Cake- nothing German about it!:)
Rather pricey, you can find it in health or specialty stores. It cooks very easily- buy the plain, un-toasted kind- or you will end up with a mushy kasha.
  1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Then, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 cup of buckwheat groats.
  2. Toast the buckwheat groats over medium heat, stirring to prevent burning, for three to five minutes or until the pale, raw buckwheat groats turn into a rusty color. Remove from the heat and continue to cook following the same method as for kasha.
  3. Bring 2 cups of water per 1 cup of buckwheat groats  to a boil. Add the groatsto the boiling water and turn the temperature down so the groats cook at a simmer over low heat.
  4. Cover the pan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Stir every five minutes.
  5. Add salt to taste. Serve when the groats absorb all of the water and have a slightly chewy, yet tender taste. Serve as a side dish or use the cooked buckwheat groats in your favorite recipe.



10 comments :

Satya said...

very new to me ...thanks for sharing such n healthy dish ...very useful one ...bookmarked

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Mary said...

This looks lovely, but the dish is completely new to me. I'm anxious to give it a try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

aipi said...

totally new,looks very interesting ..does it taste like cracked wheat ?

alison said...

eu una m-am cam dat batuta cu hrisca,am cumparat,am preparat cu mare entuziasm,cu legume...dar efectiv nu am putut-o inghiti,nu mi-a placut deloc mirosul ei...dar mi-am promis ca mai incerc,eu cunosc remarcabilele-i calitati.am zis sa incerc s-o prajesc putin,asa ,simpla,sa vad cum merge...daca ai si alte sugestii ,le astept cu mare interes!

Adelina said...

alpi- it has a nutty flavour, almost mushroomy, and despite the name, it has nothing to do with wheat!
Alison- da, eu o prajesc putin pentru a-i intensifica aroma- dar intelg, e una dintre acele bucate pe care ori le urasti- ori le iubesti!

Swathi said...

Adelina,

I have some buckwheat in my pantry not yet tried anything with them. I need to do something. This recipe looks delicious and simple to make.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like the way you cook south Indian dishes.

Adelina said...

thanks Swathi!

Sundhar said...

I love buckwheat. I never knew what it was until I was in Moldova in 2002. Now it is a regular substitute for me for rice. of course, I mix some pickle (gongkura, garlic, even mango) and it tastes fantastic to me. I do add yogurt and guess what, it tastes even better. More importantly, this is one way of controlling rice intake. I discovered that eating white rice daily is not that healthy.

Adelina said...

Happy to have you succesfully converted !

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Completely new dish to me. Thanks for introducing this to us

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Related Posts with Thumbnails