When it comes to certain dishes, like Idli, Dosa, Adai, and all the other pancakes, you just have to have it. What I love about this particular chutney is its mild and delicate character, perfect to be served even to those who do not care for heat in their plate!
- 1/2 coconut
- 1 tbsp roasted chana dhal (split bengal lentil)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dhal (yellow lentil)
- 1 dry red chili
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Grind the coconut and roasted chana into a paste or to desired consistency in the food processor. You can add a bit of water to get a more liquid consistency chutney, which is our preference.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and when hot add the mustard seeds, curry laves, dry red chillies and urad dhal. Fry till the red chillies turn bright red in color.
- Remove from heat and add to the coconut paste. Add salt to taste and serve.