Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bean Cutlet aka Burger


My husband does not like me calling anything vegetarian with names that are typical meat foods. One of those things- why would you call it "hot dog" when you can call it a "veggie log"? Ok, ok, so it is a cutlet, not a burger!

I had two kinds of cooked beans in my fridge, and since I already made bean burritos, soup, salad.... I thought it is time for a burger....NO! Cutlet!

Anyways, this is one of those recipes that you go by feel rather than measurements. You take stock of what you have and weigh the cons and pros, mix it up and cook it.

Luckily for me the burger was made today and the quantities are still fresh in my mind!

You will need:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cooked pinto beans
  • 1 cup cooked black beans
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 slice whole wheat bread
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions:

  • Place the beans, onion, bread and cilantro in a food processor and coarsely blend them.

  • Transfer everything into a large mixing bowl. Add the corn, red bell pepper, bread crumbs, cumin, salt, black pepper and mix well.

  • With your hands, shape even sized burgers and lay them on a flat surface
  • Cook them on a flat pan or griddle with little oil.


  • Waiting for the bun or some gravy, depending whether this one is a BURGER or a CUTLET!

2 comments :

Jay said...

wow....looks great...want to try dear.

Mary said...

They look fabulous and sound delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails